Anderlecht beat Standard 1-0 in poor game

FRIDAY, 6 APRIL 2007, 22:24 - andy
Logo Anderlecht-Online

Anderlecht won the clash with Standard and earned three important points. Mémé Tchité scored the only goal in what turned out to be a poor match. Through this win Anderlecht regain the pole position in the league.

In the days before the match, the press speculated whether Hassan or De Man would appear in the starting line-up for this important clash. Anderlecht coach Franky Vercauteren always has a surprise up his sleeve and played both. Surprisingly, it is captain Bart Goor that has to take place upon the bench. Olivier Deschact replaced him as captain. Standard had to miss both Conceição and Geraerts but recuperated Defour and Dupré.

The match began nervously, with both teams unable to keep the ball in their ranks for very long. However, Anderlecht created the first couple of chances of the match. First Tchité was able to center but Frutos could not latch on to the ball. Two minutes later Hassan delivered the ball to Tchité through an incisive pass but the striker’s shot ended in the arms of goalkeeper Renard. Standard reacted with a hard and low shot by Sa Pinto that went just wide.

After fifteen minutes Anderlecht succeeded in mounting the pressure. First Hassan forced Renard to make a necessary save with a bouncing shot. Minutes later, however, Anderlecht came 1-0 ahead. Wasilewski’s throw from near the corner flag reached Juhasz who headed the ball towards Tchité. The ex-Standard striker easily knocked the ball into the net.

The rest of the first half was of rather poor quality. Anderlecht remained in control and created a few minor opportunities through corners and free kicks but none managed to pose a real threat for Renard. The biggest excitement came after Renard kicked the ball against the oncoming Frutos. It would have been a clumsy goal but much to the relief of the Standard goalie the ball went just wide.

The second half began promising and the home team showed more eagerness. Anderlecht forced a corner after two minutes. Boussoufa reached Juhasz and again Tchité managed to shoot. This time his shot was blocked. Five minutes later a Hassan pass found Tchité who cut towards the centre and shot just wide. Soon, Tchité was prominent again after a center by Frutos, but his header did not found the goal. In the first fifteen minutes of the second half Anderlecht was definitely the better team.

Standard reacted with a substitution. Jovanovic replaced Sa Pinto. Vercauteren reacted with a substitution as well. Boussoufa was replaced by Goor. Hassan and Tchité remained the most dangerous players on the pitch. This time Hassan forced Renard to make a save with an excellent shot.

The last twenty minutes were of the same quality of the first half: poor. Anderlecht took a more defensive strategy and tried to counter. Standard had more possession but did not manage to create a chance worth mentioning. By the end of the game the excitement grew slightly, but Standard had nothing to offer besides a few shots by Defour and Lukunku that were easily blocked by Anderlecht defenders.

The score remained 1-0. The three points will allow Anderlecht to jump over Genk to the top of the league and keep Standard fixed to third place.

Score: 1-0
Doelpunten: 19' Mohammed Tchité 1-0

Anderlecht: Daniel Zitka, Mark De Man, Olivier Deschacht, Roland Juhasz, Nicolas Pareja, Marcin Wasilewski, Lucas Biglia, Mbark Boussoufa (69' Bart Goor), Ahmed Hassan (90' Von Schlebrügge), Nicolas Frutos, Mohammed Tchité
Standard: Olivier Renard, Costa Santos Bonfim Dante, Eric Deflandre, Frédéric Dupré, Marouane Fellaini, Mohamed Sarr, Steven Defour, Milan Rapaic (79' Mustapha Oussalah), Axel Witsel, Igor De Camargo (84' Ali Lukunku), Ricardo Manuel Sa Pinto (66' Milan Jovanovic)

Geel: 49' Igor De Camargo, 78' Bart Goor
Rood: /
Scheidsrechter: Paul Allaerts
Stadion: Constant Vanden Stockstadion

anderlecht-online forum