Anderlecht also held by Racing Genk: 2-2

MONDAY, 3 SEPTEMBER 2012, 12:07 - D.A.B.
Logo Anderlecht-Online

Anderlecht could not beat Genk yesterday, despite a whole lot of chances. The game ended in a 2-2 draw, where the visitors were able to score after two mistakes in the Brussels' defence.

After less than 10 minutes, De Ceulaer proved to be efficient for Genk. Odoi was left alone on the right back by Gillet. Therefore the Genk strikers got the upper hand. De Ceulaer appeared in the box and defeated Proto with a hard shot in the upper corner: 0-1.

Anderlecht didn't really find their way and the first good chance came after 25 minutes. Mbokani showed up in the box, alone in front of Genk keeper Köteles, but missed. Monrose and De Ceulaer hurt the central Anderlecht axis with a lot of movement on the counter attack, but slowly the Mauves took control over the match. Jovanovic eventually scored 4 minutes before half time. He pushed the rebound on Deschacht's effort past the Genk goalie: 1-1.

Though in stoppage time of the first half, Genk came in front again: Odoi left Monrose alone and he defeated Proto with a header: 1-2.

Iakovenko and Bruno were brought into play during half time for Kljestan and Odoi. After just 7 minutes, the change in personnel paid off: Bruno was left alone in the box and equalised: 2-2.

Anderlecht grabbed Genk by the throat but was too sloppy: Mbokani's effort went over. Jovanovic repeated that a few minutes later. Bruno was stopped by Köteles. Mbokani was brought down in the box, the fans wanted a penalty but referee Pots didn't see anything wrong.

Genk remained dangerous on the counter attack, but Proto and Jovanovic kept Monrose from scoring. Anderlecht kept on looking for a third goal: Bruno was dangerous on a free kick and Mbokani scored ... though the linesman caught the Congolese standing offside. Anderlecht gathered 10 corner kicks over the whole game, but not a single one was dangerous. Final score: 2-2.

anderlecht-online forum